The unique architecture project “Smart Slab” combines the excellent structural properties of concrete with the geometric freedom of 3D printing. It allows for the creation of highly optimised building components with complex structural configuration out of concrete. The Smart Slab in DFAB HOUSE is the first full-scale architectural project to be fabricated using 3D-printed formwork.
The project Smart Slab is a collaborative project of the Digital Building Technologies Group (project lead), the Chair of Physical Chemistry of Building Materials, and the Chair of Structural Design at ETH Zurich. It is for the first time implemented as part of the DFAB HOUSE project at the Empa and Eawag NEST research and innovation construction site in Dübendorf.
More information: www.dfabhouse.ch
- Building China’s $12BN Mega Airport - August 12, 2019
- Building the future with ‘plyscrapers’ - July 29, 2019
- M4 Tunnels officially open - July 15, 2019
- Bladeless wind energy - July 1, 2019
- Smart Slab - June 3, 2019
- This spray makes objects indestructible - May 20, 2019
- ACSES Engineers recognised as a leading PhD employer - May 13, 2019
- Meet the WasteShark - May 6, 2019
- Dubai to 3D print a quarter of its future buildings - April 29, 2019
- How close are we to a self-driving world? - April 26, 2019